 Robotics / 25624
Re: How would we (the rest of us) communicate ideas to the MDP?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 05:26:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:

Well, what are they? Spit 'em out!

OK, you asked for it.

Keep in mind that my exposure to Mindstorms is all of 2 months old now.  I'm an
electrical engineer by profession, but I'm a novice at Mindstorms and a bit
hopeless when it comes to slick mechanical designs.  Also, I'm just as likely to
suggest something that has already been done a dozen times as I am to suggest
something which is technically infeasible...

It seems to me that, in order for NXT to be a huge success, Lego needs to
capture not only a good percentage of the hundreds of thousands of people who
bought RIS but also a whole new market of people who haven't even noticed
robotics before.  If NXT is supposed to be the "IPOD or robotics", it needs to
become almost a fad.

With that in mind:

1) Somebody should build "classic" designs with NXT.  By that, I mean the
favorites from the RIS.  For those who used and loved the RIS, there may be some
suspicion that NXT will be good for some things but will not be able to
re-create some of the best that RIS could create.

2) To capture a new crowd, you need models that people just like to watch, even
if they aren't naturally ga-ga over creating their own robots.  One idea I had,
which I thought might work well with NXT's more humanoid appearance, is a series
of "SportsBots".  SportsBots would be robots who perform sports activities in as
human a manner as possible.  BatBot would bat a ball off of a tee (or, if you're
super genius, would hit a pitched ball).  GolfBot would putt a ball into a hole
(or, if you're super genius, line up the putt itself).  And my personal
favorite, FishBot, would be able to perform a fly-casting motion and keep a "fly
line" in the air indefinitely with perfect form.  These seem like models that
you could have in your office at work which would attract a lot of positive
attention.

Other than that, the other thing I wanted to see somebody do (if it's not done
already) is to use the bluetooth to allow a robot to communicate to you via a
text messaging window on your PC.  The robot could tell you when he's "lost",
when his batteries are low, or even just a random "hello" now and then.

There, now I've shared almost all of my ideas (so far).

Mike