 Robotics / 22635
Re: challenge: LEGO copier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 04:16:11 GMT

Joe Strout wrote:

That's a good point, and the force needed to snap together the bricks is
my greatest concern too.  Of course your gripper doesn't need to be made
of bricks; it would probably be made of Technic struts and pins, which
are considerably stronger (at least, in the directions that matter).
But there will certainly be gears involved, and if you try to apply too
much force, I imagine gear slippage will be an issue.

I wonder if this could be alleviated somewhat by using well-worn bricks;
I've noticed that old, well-used bricks are easier to attach than new
ones.  One might even experiment with a little bit of oil on the pins,
though that could quickly get very messy.

Actually, I think it would be a good idea to use pneumatics to push the
bricks together.  Any resistance met by pneumatics simply increases the
air pressure required to keep pushing, rather than actually damaging any
pieces.

I hope you're wrong, and somebody shows such a machine in the next few
years.  Otherwise, I'm probably going to end up trying it myself, once
my sons are old enough to get into Mindstorms!

Why do you have to wait until then?