 Robotics / 22627
Re: challenge: LEGO copier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 01:32:19 GMT

In message:  <joe-1F3679.19164204082004@lugnet.com>
             Joe Strout <joe@strout.net> writes:

That parts trickier than you make it sound, I think.  You may have a
part in the third row (up in Y) which is not connected to anything in
rows 1 or 2; it's only connected to the model via bricks in row 4, which
you haven't done yet.

Ah, hmm, I was expecting it to be a continuous fabric, not a holey
one.  That would make it harder, and in fact makes it even more
important to not confuse neighboring pieces of the same color
(otherwise you could lose structural integrity by using pieces such
that there's no interconnection side-to-side).

Imagine an input model (all red):

studs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
      <------><------>
      <--><------><-->
      <------><------>
      <--><------><-->

That holds together.  If you don't pay attention to the boundaries,
you might end up building the following instead:

That _doesn't_ hold together.

- Alex