 Robotics / 22626
Re: challenge: LEGO copier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:16:43 GMT

In article <20040804230722.4CC6C2DFC6@cashew.wolfskeep.com>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (T. Alexander Popiel) wrote:

OK, just to clarify: assume an X-Y-Z space with studs sticking up in
the Z direction.  You mean a model that's only one stud thick in X,
arbitrarily wide in Y, and arbitrarily high in Z?

Yes, but not arbitrarily -- there would be some limit in width (Y) and
height (Z), in order for the model to fit into the machine.

Yes, that would be a much simpler problem than what I was envisioning,
which was X and Y sizes arbitrary, with two interlocking layers in Z
(where the interlocking of pieces extending in either X or Y would
provide the structural integrity of the model).

Yes, that's a much harder problem, which is why I was thinking to limit
it to a thickness of one in X.

For what I think you're suggesting, though, it actually would be
fairly simple: have a flat feeder bed that you lay the model down in.
This is gripped by large wheels and rolled (in the model's Z direction)
to a disassembly arm...

I still don't see that disassembly of the original is either necessary
or desirable.  Use a camera to analyze the original, and don't worry
about variations in which bricks are chosen, as long as the overall
shape and color pattern come out the same.

Then, on the other side of the parts bins, you have a gripper which can
extract from the bin, traverse to the appropriate point, then attach to
the model being built.  This should require another 5 degrees of freedom
(grab, pull, flip, traverse, and model feed), plush kinesthetic inputs.

That parts trickier than you make it sound, I think.  You may have a
part in the third row (up in Y) which is not connected to anything in
rows 1 or 2; it's only connected to the model via bricks in row 4, which
you haven't done yet.

So, the robot couldn't just build the model bottom-up; it would have to
work its way up and down to continuously maintain connectedness of the
pieces.

Best,
- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |
|    joe@strout.net           http://www.macwebdir.com             |