 Robotics / 22632
Re: challenge: LEGO copier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:19:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
In article <I1z78u.93M@lugnet.com>,
"Steve Hassenplug" <hassenplug@mail.com> wrote:

On the other hand, if you allow gaps, it would be very easy to make a model
that's almost impossible for a robot to copy.  For example, an M where the
middle leg doesn't touch the bottom line:

studs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A       <-->        <-->
B       <----->  <----->
C       <--> <----> <-->
D       <-->  <-->  <-->
E       <-->        <-->

Why would that be impossible?  You'd start by building up the sides;
when you've done row B, then you can attach the block in row C, followed
by the one in row D.  So yes, this means the robot has to be able to
move back and forth; it can't just progress from one end to the other.

It also means that to attach the blocks, it needs to have a gripper
which can be adjusted widely so that it can press the new block onto the
existing model, regardless of how high the existing part of the model
is.  Tricky, but not impossible.

Almost impossible.

Personally, I'd have a hard time building this with my hands, much less building
a robot to do it.  It could easily require three grippers just to put the pieces
together.

Definitely beyond anything I'd be interesting in attempting.