 Robotics / 22630
Re: challenge: LEGO copier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:38:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:

A robot that copies only continuous fabrics would be mildly interesting,
but that problem seems too easy to be *really* interesting.

I'm sorry, but I find this VERY funny.  :)  But you've already said how little
you really know about building, so I guess it's OK.

A robot that could copy a continuous model is something that would be very
do-able.

On the other hand, if you allow gaps, it would be very easy to make a model
that's almost impossible for a robot to copy.  For example, an M where the
middle leg doesn't touch the bottom line:

studs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Also, it's going to be hard for any type of sensor (light sensor or camera) to
tell the difference between a brick of unknown color, and the background, unless
you have stereo vision (two cameras).

Once someone can make the "easy" one, then maybe you could make it harder...

Steve