 Robotics / 22617
Re: challenge: LEGO copier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:47:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "T. Alexander Popiel" <popiel@wolfskeep.com> wrote:
In message:  <joe-C8F8C7.09013204082004@lugnet.com>
             Joe Strout <joe@strout.net> writes:
The user builds some model (constraints: it must be composed of a 1x1,
1x2, and 1x4 bricks in a selection of several colors, and must be flat,

Ugh.  Much harder than it sounds: either the robot needs extreme visual
acuity to spot the brick boundaries (so it can tell two 1x2 bricks of the
same color end-to-end from a single 1x4 brick... or, more importantly,
which order a 1x1 and a 1x4 of the same color are in)

Here's an easy 'rule' you could add to resolve that.  Just say that a given
color may only be used for one size/type of piece.  You don't even have to
specify what colors are used, as long as any color may only represent one piece
type.

To make this challenge a little easier, you could specify a group of pieces &
their color.  Say that the pieces can be used in the 2d model in any way.  Then,
the robot would also have a pre-defined list of pieces.

Yes, the gripper will be the hard part.

Steve