 Robotics / 22618
Re: challenge: LEGO copier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:12:42 GMT

T. Alexander Popiel wrote:
In message:  <joe-C8F8C7.09013204082004@lugnet.com>
             Joe Strout <joe@strout.net> writes:

Here's an idea I am certainly not equipped to attempt, but I bet
somebody is...

The user builds some model (constraints: it must be composed of a 1x1,
1x2, and 1x4 bricks in a selection of several colors, and must be flat,
i.e. two-dimensional, and fit within a certain width and height).  User
then places this model into the LEGO robot, which churns away, and then
spits out the original model plus an exact duplicate of it.

I believe this is possible, given the constraints.  It sure would make a
great demo at a brick show, too.  Somebody please do it so this idea
doesn't haunt me for years!

Ugh.  Much harder than it sounds: either the robot needs extreme visual
acuity to spot the brick boundaries (so it can tell two 1x2 bricks of the
same color end-to-end from a single 1x4 brick... or, more importantly,
which order a 1x1 and a 1x4 of the same color are in), or it needs to be
able to disassemble the model to inspect the individual pieces (which
may result in the model falling apart messily as some key piece is
removed).

Actually, he said "flat".  So I would assume that he meant an assortment
of bricks simply stuck to one baseplate, sort of like a mosaic.

As for brick boundaries... I think the only thing you would need to
worry about is the boundaries where the colors differ.  As long as you
are allowed any configuration of bricks that produces the designated
color pattern, it should be very feasable (you could even design it to
optimize the number of bricks used, actually).  And on the subject of
colors, the imprecise sensitivity of the LEGO light sensor could likely
not handle more than 3 colors in total, black, white, and some other
inbetween one.

This will almost certainly require more than 1 RCX though... I would
imagine there to be simply too many states to manage at the same time
for just 3 outputs.