 Robotics / 22620
Re: challenge: LEGO copier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:41:15 GMT

In article <I1xouE.LpJ@lugnet.com>,
Mark Tarrabain <markt@SPAMBLOCK.lynx.net> wrote:

Actually, he said "flat".  So I would assume that he meant an assortment
of bricks simply stuck to one baseplate, sort of like a mosaic.

No, I meant stuck to each other.

As for brick boundaries... I think the only thing you would need to
worry about is the boundaries where the colors differ.  As long as you
are allowed any configuration of bricks that produces the designated
color pattern, it should be very feasable (you could even design it to
optimize the number of bricks used, actually).

That's what I had in mind too.

And on the subject of
colors, the imprecise sensitivity of the LEGO light sensor could likely
not handle more than 3 colors in total, black, white, and some other
inbetween one.

I was assuming the use of a camera, not the LEGO light sensor.  But
using the light sensor is a clever idea.

This will almost certainly require more than 1 RCX though... I would
imagine there to be simply too many states to manage at the same time
for just 3 outputs.

Here I expose my complete cluelessness with regard to RCX.  Its three
outputs are what -- voltage levels?  Usually used to drive a motor
directly?  If so, does this mean that a robot needs one RCX per every
three degrees of freedom?

Thanks,
- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |
|    joe@strout.net           http://www.macwebdir.com             |