 Robotics / 18762
  Use RCX motor output to switch devices

Hi all! The quest continues: I have now (with the help of the posters at circuitsonline.net) designed a circuit that should do the trick (clicking the link below should reveal a schematic representation of the circuitry). "(URL) Although I wonder if (...) (22 years ago, 26-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

"Da Byte" <dabyte@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H1GxyK.5yJ@lugnet.com... (...) for (...) Do you mean something like the following? (URL) (22 years ago, 26-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) I have seen that site before, yes, but it doesn't exactly describe what I want (although I also could implement relays). I'd like help on the circuit I have built, please. But thanks anyway. Grtz., Remko (22 years ago, 27-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

"Da Byte" <dabyte@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H1I03v.n9@lugnet.com... (...) I'm far from any expert but it appears that what you are trying to do is make a solid-state switch. There are two other ways to do this. 1. Use the RCX it's self as (...) (22 years ago, 27-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) Thanks a lot, Dean! Total electrical isolation is a good idea to achieve what I'm planning to do. I am trying to switch circuits of various Voltages (a 12V circuit at the moment in the form of an IR beamer). Do you have any information on both (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

You certainly could use the optcoupler out of a computer mouse, but that wouldnt be the best may to do it. They wouldnt be designed with this application in mind, so you might fry the phototransistor if you used too much current, or too high a (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) In my "LEGO Mindstorms Interfacing" book published by McGraw-Hill I devote whole chapter (Chapter 4) on Electronic Switching techniques. I describe both input/output switching techiques using npn and Power MOSFET transistors to control RCX and (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

Hi all! The quest continues: I have now (with the help of the posters at circuitsonline.net) designed a circuit that should do the trick (clicking the link below should reveal a schematic representation of the circuitry). "(URL) Although I wonder if (...) (22 years ago, 29-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) circuits with the RCX motor outputs? Thanks, Remko (22 years ago, 30-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

Here's a circuit you might try (please forgive the crudeness, it's hand drawn): (URL) transistor is easy to find (Radio Shack in the U.S. carries it). The resistor is such a low value because the current being switched is relatively high and it's (...) (22 years ago, 30-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

Oh yeah, I forgot to add my usual disclaimer for things of this nature: Do it at your own risk. If things aren't connected up quite right, you could fry your RCX. To be safe try the circuit first by connecting it to a 9v battery box (try both (...) (22 years ago, 30-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

Thanks for the help, Mark! I have a few questions still (I'm a novice at electronics). (...) I live in The Netherlands, so instead of Radio Shack I buy at Conrad. Is there a universal transistor description in this case? (...) What does "in (...) (22 years ago, 30-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

"Da Byte" <dabyte@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H1nuMp.CMK@lugnet.com... (...) Try looking for 2N2222A. 2N4401 should also work. They're both fairly common. (...) overheating. (...) Sorry... basicly, it means "fully on". When the transistor is (...) (22 years ago, 30-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

In an e-mail Eric send me the following info, for which many thanks. -----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- Van: Da Byte [mailto:dabyte@hotmail.com] Verzonden: vrijdag 30 augustus 2002 16:23 Aan: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com Onderwerp: Re: Use RCX motor (...) (22 years ago, 31-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) Remko, Starting on page 144, I start the topic discussion on Electronic Output Switching by describing a detail lab project of an Audible Tone Generator. The core switching circuit consists of using a 7805 Voltage Regulator IC driving a 2 (...) (22 years ago, 31-Aug-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) Wow, I'd sure like to see if I could use it :) Anyway, if I have your purchased your book, would you help me taylor that knowledge to my needs? Thank you Remko (22 years ago, 1-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) This appears to be a PNP transistor according to this datasheet: (URL) transistor in the circuit diagram I provided is NPN. Also, the maximum current the BC557 can handle is only 100ma (I think you needed 250ma or so). In other words, this (...) (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) Can't I secure my circuit against this 'switch', or even use it to achieve the same with output in both directions: by using diodes for example? I have tried to model something like that in software called "Crococlips" (screenshot: (URL) >To (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

(...) (URL) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

In response to the following, Ran Talbot e-mailed me. (...) "A "full-wave bridge rectifier" (as used in AC-to-DC power supplies) will do that nicely. I believe some of the Lego "active" sensors do this. I don't know if anyone makes an AC (...) (22 years ago, 8-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Use RCX motor output to switch devices

Also, in the meantime I have built quite an attractive solution using a small relay, that has been built into a Lego 'mailbox'. I will post a little tutorial on my site on building it, because I am rather charmed by the simplicity and robustness of (...) (22 years ago, 8-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Tutorial: use RCX motor output to switch devices / build your own interface

(...) I hope this tutorial will give you some good ideas of your own too! It can be found here: (URL) please e-mail me with your comments or mistakes in the tutorial, or post it here. Have fun, Remko (22 years ago, 11-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics)