 Robotics / 14973
Re: Junkyard Wars (Was Re: robotica on TLC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 02:14:59 GMT

"Steven B. Combs" wrote:

I have heard that Junkyard Wars will be moving to California.

They already showed a handful of episodes with all-American teams - although
it wasn't entirely clear where they'd done the filming.  It *looked* like
they might have flown everyone to UK to save the cost of rebuilding the set.

Also, I notice that they are looking for ideas.
Maybe we should all visit the web site and suggest that we would like to see
an autonomous robot that does "blank."  Then we could see if TLC could
actually have someone create a real robot for display on TV.  Think they
could seed the junkyard with Mindstorm parts?

Dunno - with the right people, maybe they could reprogram some of the
microcontrollers ripped from one of the cars?  Cars have a bunch of
sensors on them - and various actuators....I bet you'd have what you
need if you could get the documentation and replace the EPROM's.

You could probably build some kind of a punched card or paper tape reader
and use that as some kind of a 'sequencer' to produce a complex performance.

Something like an old musical box - with a motor driven drum covered in nails
that would make or break electrical contacts...you could have them *BUILD*
a computer!

If they seeded the scrapheap with something like an old electromechanical
telephone exchange, there could be HUNDREDS of relays and other useful parts.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>