 Robotics / 13513
Re: batteries? RCX/CYBERMASTER
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:57:51 GMT

Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> writes:

Hi, I've just purchased my CyberMatser, and I already have some 20 questions. •                                   ^^^^special swedish variant :-)
Here are some battery related:

How many mA does the Tower Unit consume?

No idea, should be very little, try measuring it :-)

How many mA does the Mobile Unit consume with both internal motors and the external active?

Don't know, but AFAIK motor current is limited to 500mA per motor,
so three motors give 1.5A.

Would a 7809 (and a couple of capacitors) stabilize the voltage safe enough?

AFAIR (now that's really long ago I built something with these)
a standard 7809 does up to 1A so you need a stronger variant.
Otherwise they are ok, probably even overkill as there seems to
be a stabilizer to 5V for the computer part inside the various bricks.

For the tower it should be perfectly ok.

The reason I ask is I plan to make a wooden dummy 9v battery for the Tower
with two wood screws serving as electrods, wired to a 9v DC converter.

Did you already use up several 9V batteries?
Maybe it's more trouble than it's worth.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/