 Robotics / 11535
Re: batteries? RCX/CYBERMASTER
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 20:16:51 GMT

Guido Heunen schreef:

Hi

I used a normal 9V battery instead of the six 1.5V ("six pack") and that
works well if you hook up the 9V connection well. However, my radio tower
does something but my cybermaster does not respond (no flashing of led when
tower led flashes). So, well not enough power left in batteries I thought.

I investigated the possibility to use rechargable batteries for my
cybermaster. But, as you probably know, this is not possible since
a 6 pack gives in total only 7.2 Volts. So, I thought, let's take a 9V
rechargable. Unfortunatelly this battery holds 8.4V max.

So can you tell me how you dealt with this? (I imagine that the power supply
of the cybermaster resembles to the one of the RCX)

I am thinking of using my train speed selector. It has a transformer (9v,
unfortunatelly AC!) which goes into the speed selector of the train track.
The output of this selector goes Normally to the tracks. I am planning to
connect is to the cybermaster with the right polarity (of course). Did
anyone try this?  I remember that the train transformer can deliver more
than 1 ampere. Won't this fry my cybermaster.

I am using Panasonic rechargables, available at Conrad Electronics in the
Netherlands, which work excellent for the RCX, Scout and Cybermaster. RCX
reports 8.4 volt power when fully charged. They're only a fraction more
expensive than normal rechargable batteries and they do have a lot more
capacity (1000 mAh, which is a lot for a penlite)

Hooking up any non-Lego powersource seems to me like asking for trouble in
case of the Cybermaster. It hasn't been designed with a external power
socket, so AC might (would?) kill it, and even DC seems tricky. Probably
doesn't have a voltage regulator so a cheap 9v DC converter, which
sometimes outputs almost 12v when under light load, might blow up
something.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.nl.3dgamers.com
3D Sims Archive maintainer   | http://www.3dgamers.com