 Robotics / 11543
Re: batteries? RCX/CYBERMASTER
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 17:43:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Guido Heunen writes:
Hi

I used a normal 9V battery instead of the six 1.5V ("six pack") and that
works well if you hook up the 9V connection well. However, my radio tower
does something but my cybermaster does not respond (no flashing of led when
tower led flashes). So, well not enough power left in batteries I thought.

I investigated the possibility to use rechargable batteries for my
cybermaster. But, as you probably know, this is not possible since
a 6 pack gives in total only 7.2 Volts. So, I thought, let's take a 9V
rechargable. Unfortunatelly this battery holds 8.4V max.

So can you tell me how you dealt with this? (I imagine that the power supply
of the cybermaster resembles to the one of the RCX)

I am thinking of using my train speed selector. It has a transformer (9v,
unfortunatelly AC!) which goes into the speed selector of the train track.
The output of this selector goes Normally to the tracks. I am planning to
connect is to the cybermaster with the right polarity (of course). Did
anyone try this?  I remember that the train transformer can deliver more
than 1 ampere. Won't this fry my
cybermaster.

Or my last alternative. A ready to buy transformer 9V DC ? Would this work?

I just won't spend anymore all my money on batteries.....

Guido

Hi

I have used with great success the AA size NiMH rechargeable Sanyo battery (H3U
is the Sanyo code) in all the lego application : technic control centre, RCX,
RDS, DDK, Cybermaster.
Yes,the value you get from the battery will never reach the level you can have
with fresh throw-away alkaline battery, but everythings works fine :)
They have a nominal value of 1600 mAh and usually you have only just a slightly
lower "working" time compared to alkaline cells, but you may recharge them :)

Marco