 Robotics / 127
  Charging batteries

Our institution (a school) considers to purchase two Mindstorms sets for students to work with. I'm looking for the best way to deal with batteries in such a setting. I have seen some posts mentioning some concerns, but would like to have some more (...) (26 years ago, 13-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

(...) No in the AA size there are companies that make Nickel Metal Hidryde as well as nickel cadmium, but the Nickle Metal are much harder to find and much more expensive.(I suppose there is probably a company out there making Lithium Ion AA I just (...) (26 years ago, 13-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

Eric Brok wrote in message ... (...) NiMH is also an option. They are coming down the prices of NiCad (about $5/cell right now). The average NiMH AA cell has a greater capacity then the average NiCad cell (1300mah vs about 850mah). (...) Quick (...) (26 years ago, 13-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

Radio Shack has a quick charger that does AA and AAA NiMH batteries, I think it was about $25.00. The AAA cells I bought were $10.00/pr. Rob Trainer btrainer@home.com rtrainer@csti-md.com Alex Wetmore wrote in message <908291583.842286@phred>... (...) (26 years ago, 13-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

Isn't Ardjan Besse the battery guy? (He works in something to do with batteries, if memory serves me correctly........ Eric Brok wrote in message ... (...) (26 years ago, 15-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

Op een zekere dag, te weten Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:33:14 GMT, klom <richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net> in het toetsenbord en schreef ons: (...) That's correct. In normal life I'm laboratory analist at Varta Car Batteries in Vienna. Actually, I can say that (...) (26 years ago, 15-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

Even if Ardjan is the battery guy and he works for Varta, it doesn't mean that Varta has nothing to exactly fit our bill. :-) I'm talking about the Varta 1300maH AA NiCad battery. This is a super capacity NiCad. Normally a HiCap AA NiCad from Radio (...) (26 years ago, 15-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

(...) There are also Renewal rechargeable Alkaline batteries from Rayovac. They have a special charger that shuts off so they aren't over charged. Cindy Salwen (26 years ago, 19-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

L. M. Lloyd <lee@advfilms.com> wrote (...) OK, I've done a web search on this, and the consensus seems to be "not on this planet". The conditions for the original study were on a satellite, with absolutely regular charge/discharge cycles, no gravity (...) (26 years ago, 20-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

moz wrote in message ... (...) This only works if you are discharging your NiCads to close to dead. If you are topping them off every night then a timer based charger isn't a good idea. Your NiCads will be fully charged pretty quickly, and then will (...) (26 years ago, 20-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

Panasonic sells quick-charge high capacity (1100maH) NiCads pretty cheaply. I believe I bought the charger with 4 batteries for less than $20 at Costco, and have bought a few 6packs of AA for less than $15 each ($9-12?) also at Costco. I got them (...) (26 years ago, 21-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

(...) Well I will be the first to admit that this is hardly a scientific study but here is my personal experience. For 4 years I have had the same cellular phone and the same notebook computer. The cellular phone is a Motorola with an Intelecharger (...) (26 years ago, 21-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

(...) Well, I use my early-generation Sony Discman at work up to three hours a day (gotta tune out the whiners). This unit munches batteries! And I buy nothing but Duracells. So I made the big leap a couple months back and bought 4 AA Nickel metal (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Charging batteries

Matt Agnew wrote in message <362f8249.21159733@l...et.com>... (...) day (...) This is getting pretty far off topic, but why not use an AC adapter for your discman? If you are sitting at a desk all day there isn't any reason that you need (...) (26 years ago, 22-Oct-98, to lugnet.robotics)