 Robotics / 184
Re: Charging batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:31:41 GMT

L. M. Lloyd <lee@advfilms.com> wrote
- do NiCads have a 'memory effect'?
Yes! Nickle Metal and Lithium Ion bataries do not.

OK, I've done a web search on this, and the consensus seems to be "not on
this planet". The conditions for the original study were on a satellite,
with absolutely regular charge/discharge cycles, no gravity and no
acceleration. The effect was resolved by 4 deep cycles. I think the
article was at: http://www.vencon.com/articles/nicd2.html, but I may be
wrong.

The other consensus is that the easiest way to wreck nicads is to
overcharge them. You must switch to C/40 or so after charging to between
1.4 and 1.6 C, otherwise you will cause non-repairable damage. The
easiest way to do this is IMO a timer switch. Set it for 15 hours and go
home for the day.

Note that nickel metal hydride and lithium ion hydride batteries are also
vulnerable to overcharging, and especially to overheating. So if you
currently kill nicads regularly NimH may just increase the costs... It
would possibly pay to buy one of the more expensive chargers that do this
automatically.

HTH
Moz