 Robotics / 150
Re: Charging batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:49:11 GMT

Op een zekere dag, te weten Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:33:14 GMT, klom
<richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net> in het toetsenbord en schreef ons:

Isn't Ardjan Besse the battery guy? (He works in something to do with
batteries,
if memory serves me correctly........

That's correct. In normal life I'm laboratory analist at Varta Car Batteries
in Vienna. Actually, I can say that I'm the chief chemist of Varta in
Austria, but that's only because Varta has just one factory, and there works
only one guy at the chemical laboratory... 8-)

As for battery-knowledge: What do you want to know about lead-acid
batteries, ranging from about 36Ah, to single (stationary) cells at 2800Ah
for 2V?   8-)

I don't know much about rechargable batteries, just the things that where
already metioned in this thread. NiCd's do have a memory effect, do have
less power, are cheaper and easier to find. NiMH's are more expensive, not
everywhere available, don't have a memory effect (at least none comparable
to NiCD's). They have the same charging characteristics as NiCD's, so you
can charge them in the same charger. Super-fast chargers are not very
healthy to batteries, because they get warm, and can even explode (not very
likely).Some fast-chargers measure temperature to detect if the batteries
are full. So, when using a fast-charger, choose one which detects the charge
of the batteries, and switch off automatically. Better is using a
slow-charger, and charge the batteries over night. Just buy two sets of
batteries, when you don't want to wait that long. They will have a longer
lifespan...

Greetings, Ardjan