 Robotics / 202
Re: Charging batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:31:13 GMT

"Eric Brok" <brok@fcjsvc.hvu.nl> wrote:

I'm looking for the best way to deal with batteries
in such a setting.

Well, I use my early-generation Sony Discman at work up to three hours a day
(gotta tune out the whiners).  This unit munches batteries!  And I buy
nothing but Duracells.  So I made the big leap a couple months back and
bought 4 AA Nickel metal hydride batteries from Radio Shack, along with
their "5-hour" charger.  The batteries were $20/4, the charger was somewhere
between $17-23.  The dude at The Shack said you can't (or shouldn't) use a
Nicad charger for the Nimh batteries, and the little charger I bought has a
switch to select one or the other.  What it does, I'm not sure - maybe uses
a different measurement to shut off when the battery is full.  There is a
light to tell you this.  My charger bills itself as a "5 hour" charger, but
it usually takes 8-9 for the light to go out.

I am very impressed with the capacity of these things, especially after
being let down by some wimpy Panasonic Nicads.  If the battery and charger
haven't paid for themselves yet, it will be very soon!  While I haven't had
enough experience with them to use them for mission-critical things like
taping concerts with my Sony DAT, they have been very reliable and
consistent.  I get about three days off of a charge.  They seem to discharge
a bit when not in use, but so do nicads, right?  Just bring em home, pop
them in the charger overnight, take them to work the next day.

I imagine these things to be right on for something like Mindstorms in a
school setting.  The investment would probably pay off faster than it would
in my case.

Just my $0.02.
Matt the Mailman