 Robotics / 10629
Re: Drive R/C Servos with the RCX and pbForth (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:19:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:
<snip>

That being said, how much are you (or others) willing to pay
for boards like this. Here's the math....if I sell 100 boards at $10
apiece, I've got $1000. Now I have to recover my parts cost, lost time,
service issues, etc. Even if I double the price to $20, it's still not
worth the grief.

On the other hand, if I was able to sell 2,000 or 3,000 of them, then
the numbers would get interesting. Now, does anyone here have a legal
opinion on what LEGO is likely to do if someone sells large quantities
of accessories for their RCX product? Anyone?

What they will do and what they can do are two separate questions. Basically
they can do nothing about the sales. They can complain about not respecting
their trademark, or of copying of their designs. And they can complain that it
may look like lego is selling the products. I don't think there is anything
else. On the question what they will do - that is anybodys guess. Bottom line
is that if you are serious and objective in your commercials, and mention that
Lego owns the trademark (if you use lego's name), and that the stuff is yours,
then it is a go. Off course you can do much less, and maybe get away with it.

Maybe you can sell them your design or get an approvement? (just a business
thought) Watch out for them stealing your idea!

Jari