 Robotics / 10626
RE: Drive R/C Servos with the RCX and pbForth (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 21:09:28 GMT

Ralph - I'm interested in the use of servos with the RCX, but I have
no interest in learning the quirks of another computer language.  I'm
already a bit familiar with Visual Basic,and control the RCX with it.
Can your pbForth solution be duplicated with VB?  Also, Have you ever
thought about doing up a small batch of PC boards for your interface?
Thanks --- John.

Oops, forgot to answer the main question. Yes, I have thought
about making boards...and as soon as I get out from under my current
workload I'm going to give it even more thought....

It is just not worth my time and money to make any less than
100 boards of an item. This is about how many would fit onto
a typical PCB panel. The cost of the parts is pretty small, but
you do pay for machine setup and run time.

I would have to do this through my regular board house because it is
cheaper than hand assembling stuff. In fact, if I did go ahead and make
baords, I would sell the kits for MORE than the assembled product because
of all of the associated headaches.

That being said, how much are you (or others) willing to pay
for boards like this. Here's the math....if I sell 100 boards at $10
apiece, I've got $1000. Now I have to recover my parts cost, lost time,
service issues, etc. Even if I double the price to $20, it's still not
worth the grief.

On the other hand, if I was able to sell 2,000 or 3,000 of them, then
the numbers would get interesting. Now, does anyone here have a legal
opinion on what LEGO is likely to do if someone sells large quantities
of accessories for their RCX product? Anyone?

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com