 Robotics / 10623
RE: Drive R/C Servos with the RCX and pbForth (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 13:06:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:
Well, after a few hours of crunching away at the problem, I
now have pbForth code to allow you to control and hold a servo
in up to 100 positions.

Then Ben Jackson wrote:

If you're using a custom motor driver in pbForth, why use the inverter circuit
at all?  Why not just generate the desired waveform directly?  Is there not
enough current to drive the servo that way?

No, the servo needs power to the + and ground terminals to drive
the motor to the setpoint indicated by the signal wire. If I don't
invert the signal there is no power for about 30msec and only
1 or 2 msec ov voltage on the motor port.

I should add here that no external power source is necessary to drive
the servo. This is important since a micro or miniservo and an SMT
version of the driver can be made to fit INSIDE a space similar to
a worm gear box (6588 in LDraw).

I'm looking for packaging ideas that will allow a few different
mounting options for the servos. Three different options are
needed:

1. Servo shaft comes out the top of a brick
2. Servo shaft comes out the bottom of a brick
3. Servo shaft comes out the side of a brick

I think that using Technic beams or even half-beams (look out for
Cyberslam on clearnace) will give the best mounting.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com