 Publishing / 2374
Re: Screen Resolution Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:19:40 GMT

Juergen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr> wrote:
excuse that one wants to save paper.  This doesn't exist for
the web.  The main reason for fine print is of course that
people don't won't you to read it, to screw you later if you
make a mistake.  I as a customer find that rather offensive.

Nah, that's not true -- font sizes are a good way to denote the relative
importance of various bits of text. A legal disclaimer or copyright notice
may be important, but conceptually, it's not the focus of the page, so it
should be made smaller.

Well, my way to turn off any messing around with fonts for the author is to
blow holes into those occurrences of `font' or `FONT' in the netscape
binary that occur among HTML keywords.  Real easy with Emacs, just use
query-replace to change the last letter (since Emacs version 20 you need to
use load-file-literally to avoid automatic transformations of line ends).

Won't work with CSS, of course.

I hope that one day there will be some browser (Mozilla?)
where anybody can configure away features he doesn't like.

Why not just use lynx?

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/