 Publishing / 2370
Re: Screen Resolution Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:58:16 GMT

"Matthew Miller" <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message
news:slrn8q0eg8.shl.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu...
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:
I use 1280x1024, but keep my browser pretty narrow - not usually more • than
700.  I wouldn't worry *too* much about 640x480 folks, the majority use

Ditto. Except I use 1280x960, because pixels should be *square*. :)

:)  You'll have to explain a little more to me about resolutions and pixel
shapes when I'm out at Gordon.  I'd like square pixels too :)

One problem with many web site designs is that they make text go from one
side of the browser to the other. This is fine for one line, but it makes
for painful reading if it's more than that -- especially if it's a whole
article. Newspapers have columns for a reason.

Yep.  On pages without sidebar links and such, I always use <blockquote> for
articles and large amounts of text - because pages need margins.  Having
teeny margins and huge lines of text is rather taxing on the eyes and on the
brain.

I find a width of about 700 to be generally comfortable, so that's what I
usually stay with.

Yeah...the only poo thing about it is sites optimized for 800 are a teeeny
bit wider than my browser.  Oh well...
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114