 Off-Topic / Fun / 5753
Re: Screen Resolution Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:27:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dan Boger writes:
On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 06:13:39AM +0000, Nick Crocco wrote:
Hello. I was just wondering what everyone's screen resolution is. I'm re-
designing my website and it would be good to know at what size I should
optimize it for. Personaly, I use 1024 x 768  :-D

1600x1200 on the desktop, 1024x768 on the laptop, but only cause it
won't support anything more... that doesn't mean I have netscape open to
full screen...

As another 1600x1200er (with small fonts - I've got good eyesight), I plead
with web page developers to consider how their pages look on high resolution
screens. Lugnet uses some fonts which come out a bit too small, which puts it
in the minority. At work it's even worse, some sites actually use a font size
which comes out even smaller and unable to read. This is on a 1200x1000 or so
screen. I think Netscape is partly to blame there.

This whole issue is one of the places that HTML has just totally failed on in
my opinion. It gives font size options to both the writer and the reader, and
no way to resolve conflicts. One problem is the use by writers of reduced font
sizes. These should almost never be used for text other than superscripts and
subscripts and the like (probably ok also for some fine print). It is also
probably best to not ever use anything less than size -2.

It's also probably unwise to specify fonts by name unless you are using some
ability to fetch them as part of the page. If you do this, please try and make
sure that a variety systems will make reasonable substitutions.

One thing which would be friendlier to high resolution users is to make sure
that pages are re-sizeable. I tend to avoid using the Lugnet web posting for
serious posts because it limits me to a view of about 20 lines of text when my
display is quite capable of displaying 40-60 lines.

FUT: lugnet.publish

Frank