 Publishing / 1589
Re: Digital Camera suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:34:17 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Mike Stanley writes:
The Mavicas are great little cameras but floppy storage stinks.  I
wish I could help you make a decision but I haven't even read much
about those models you mention.

I was skeptical of floppies in the beginning, but in my experience as a
Mavica owner, how badly it stinks seems to depend on how fast photos are
being taken.

If I'm snapping bazillions of quick photos (people or other fast-moving
random stuff) then it really stinks having to switch floppies every 10 to
20 photos.  Then again, compared to traditional film, it's still a lot
easier.  :)

If I'm snapping a bunch of carefully planned out LEGO model photos, then
switching floppies doesn't get in the way at all.

As soon as I'm done, I take the stack of floppies (usually 3 to 10) back to
my computer and upload them, erasing the floppies for re-use.  Sure beats any
other system of photography I've ever used, but I realize of course that not
too far down the road it'll seem totally archaic.  Can't wait to be able to
store 1 GB of photos on a memory card and upload them to my computer via a
cable (or better yet, some kind of ultra-fast cable-less light link).

Say, are there any cable-based solutions on the market now today which don't
take forever to transmit the pictures over the wire?  A USB connection must
be wicked fast!

Floppy transfer is about 30-50 KB/sec.  And -- dang -- those floppies work
great with Linux!  :)  :)

--Todd