 Publishing / 1587
Re: Digital Camera suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 05:34:10 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Jeff Barnett writes:

There is not a perfect digital camera out there yet.  But i think as CDR
technologies increase, and compactability gets even smaller we will be
seeing some incredible cameras in the nex 5 to 10 years.

In lugnet.publish, Kevin Maynes writes:

MiniDisc MiniDisc MiniDisc!!

K.M.

In lugnet.publish, Jeff Barnett writes:

How many computers available at your local computer stora have MiniDisk
drives??  I think zips would be a good thing as well.  The only downfall to
both of these ideas is that not many computers have drives to support them.
Everyone has a disk drive, and everyone has serial ports, most people have CD-
Roms and all new computers are coming out with USB.   In my eyes i think it is
going to be something that uses one of these four, probably one of the last
two methods.

How many with MD drives? Well, none, actually. If/when MD takes off in the US,
I'm kinda hoping that might change. It's nice to have a dream :)
Zip's are a tad expensive, comparing to MD or especially floppy.

I was primarily making reference to your mention of CD-R use, (a bit big for a
handheld camera, no?) and (extra/inter?)-polating between digital optical speed
and security / floppy-sized convenience and price. (and durability! try
stomping on a CD-R and having it still function cleanly - while not entirely
recommended as ongoing practice, it can be done with an MD)
I would swear up and down that I've seen indication recently of Sony coming
forth with prototypes of digital video cameras that record to MD, but I can't
seem to find it again. The only reference I did find was to a Sharp prototype
from '96 that hasn't hit production yet.

I've gotta learn not to stick my toe in the water when I've no idea how many
toothy creatures are down there..  ;)

cheers!
K.M.

fups should probably go elsewhere...?