 Pirates / 2607
Re: French Navy Ranks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  I'm not aware of any seaborne sieges that used French ketches.
  I've never even heard of any plans to use them in the cross-
  Channel invasion.

I just pulled my copy of 'Conway's The Line of Battle' off the shelf,
realizing I should have looked earlier on this subject. Apparently, the
French *invented* the mortar ship back in the mid 17-century. The book
wasn't too specific on the 1790s period, but they had 2 commissioned during
the American Revolution and converted four more at that point.

They also started arming a strange breed of corvettes with 42-pdrs (I'm
assuming carronades on this one) and a single 12 inch mortar in the mid
1790s, and built small cross channel mortar boats with 7 inchers. These
weren't meant for heavy seas.

All in all, it seems likely that the French would have had at least one
conventional Ketch in commision at any given time.

Kenneth Tam