 Pirates / 2593
Re: French Navy Ranks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:05:24 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
I'm building up a small French fleet (Napoleonic/Pirate era), and would like
to have authentic(ish) crew and ranks.

The fleet will be commanded by a Capitain de Corvette sailing in a 12 gun
brig, and the other two ships are a bomb ketch and a sloop-of-war. The three
'big' ships will be accompanied by a couple of gunboats.

IIRC, the British Navy would have had the ketch and the sloop under the
command of Lieutenants, and the gunboats under the command of Midshipmen.

Did the French Navy have the equivalent of Lieutenants-in-Command? Did they
have Midshipmen or equivalents?

And what enlisted ranks were there in the French Navy?

Or am I just being way too obsessive?

Answers, corrections, or directions to either would be appreciated.

  I haven't seen too many references to French naval ranks in the
  Napoleonic period.  The "Piratic Era" might be better considered
  ancien-regime; at least there, the ranks are standard.  One of the
  problems with the Revolution, Directory, Consulate, and Empire is
  that rank systems and philosophies of rank were in flux (much as
  they'd be in the Soviet military, where levelling was pursued far
  too agressively).

  So I'm not sure where you'd look for French naval ranks, but I'm
  gonna do some digging.

   OK--I've checked both in English and in French on the Web, and I've
   found nothing that's obviously a list of French naval ranks.  I
   think you'll have to go to academic tomes, but I don't yet have any
   titles for you.  How's your French?  Do you have access to a good
   library (e.g., a university library)?

   What I *can* tell you is that the divide between the normal rank of
   seamen and any officers was pretty significant in the French navy
   (at least before the reign of Napoleon).  It led to a lot of trouble
   between officers and crew, and a much higher incidence of mutiny--and
   lower preformance and self-sacrifice--among French and Spanish crews
   than British or American ones.  The class divide was really very
   staggering.

   best

   LFB