 Pirates / 2606
Re: French Navy Ranks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:26:45 GMT

  I'm not aware of any seaborne sieges that used French ketches.
  I've never even heard of any plans to use them in the cross-
  Channel invasion.

Quite right. Napoleon never had a grasp of the Navy. I mean, embarking his
Grand Armee into light vessels and trying to get out of port in the space of
a few hours... those 'send the army on porpises' made more sense, for crying
out loud!

  Not likely; Malta first came (IIRC) under French guns when Napoleon's
  entire fleet appeared off the coast.  The Knights didn't last long at all.
  At that point, Malta became French; I believe it remained so until it
  passed into British hands.

After the Nile Nelson sent one of his best, Captain Ball in "Alexander (74)*
to remove the French garrison. It took a year or more (as I recall) because
the Maltese were in rought shape. After they succeeded Ball ended up
becoming governor of the island -- the people loved him. He was constantly
demanding aide from the Sicilies, Naples, and so on, but it never
materialized. Heck, I think the Russians even promised help for a while (but
having an insane Tsar, that didn't last either.)

In any case, for a period just around 1800, there was a bit of a fear on
Ball's part of a counter expedition or (before the French surrender) a
reinforcement group. It was quite a little drama for a while, from what I read.

  You've seen my wee little bomb ketch, yes?  I've got a big ol' siege
  mortar on board (do a ng search for "siege mortar" and the pic addies
  might be handy).   It needed a 16-wide one-midsection hull for full
  traverse, though.

I used to have that bookmarked but I can't find the darn thing now! I do
recall it having something that looked like a 30-inch mortar on it though...
:-)

Kenneth Tam