 Pirates / 2604
Re: French Navy Ranks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 04:15:43 GMT

I'm considering a gunboat to be a large, sloop rigged open boat with a
single forward mounted cannon. I'm presuming it would probably be/could be
stowed aboard a larger vessel (1). Later gunboats were definitely larger
vessels, and would have been commanded by a higher rank.

Aha! Makes sense to me! I've come across a number of instances where gun
brigs and cutters were listed as gunboats, but that definition clears things
up neatly.

Hmmm... like the ill-fated Political Officer aboard the Red October?

The very same!

Ummm.... I hadn't occured to me that they didn't actually have any... it was
a matter of "what interesting vessel could be made with this hull"....

Well, I have a feeling that after the Nile, the French would have been
willing to commission just about anything into the service. Bonaparte might
have particularly liked the idea of a mortar ship (being an artillery
officer and all) so if a British ketch happened to get cornered they
probably would have captured and commisioned her. That or built their own.

Whatever the case, the times were chaotic -- there's no shortage of ways to
get a French Bomb into action. If it's part of a Mediterranean squadron, you
could have it menacing Malta or something to that effect.

My motivation was mainly the torsos I had on hand (and on hand to
modify...), like the hull pieces I had to hand. And just to be a bit
different, of course :-)

Ahhh, uniqueness! My evil schemes strive for the very same... though I won't
be getting a flying squadron out of them.

Can't wait to see pictures of the Brig (post soon!)

Kenneth Tam

P.S. - Oh yes, and Hornblower was quite an excellent series -- both on film
and on paper :-)