 Pirates / 2595
Re: French Navy Ranks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:05:57 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  OK--I've checked both in English and in French on the Web, and I've
  found nothing that's obviously a list of French naval ranks.  I
  think you'll have to go to academic tomes, but I don't yet have any
  titles for you.  How's your French?  Do you have access to a good
  library (e.g., a university library)?

I'm disappointed in your web searching skills, LFB :)  I found this page
after about a minute.  It's a web page that lists a lot of different
country's ranks of their various military branches.  Unfortunately (or not)
the ranks are in the native languages:

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~a.110662/dave7cnv/militar/military.html

   Actually, I found that one early on as well, but I discounted it
   because it's modern (Fifth Republic). From ancien-regime through
   Republican through Napoleonic, there's considerable variation in
   organization; whether or not this was reflected in rank orders
   is not something I'm certain of.  I mean, for LEGO purposes, it's
   probably OK, but a specific question was asked so like a true
   power geek, I'm looking for the specific answer to the exclusion of
   all others.  ;)

   So no need to be disappointed, I was merely being too exacting.

   best

   LFB