 Pirates / 2605
Re: French Navy Ranks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:11:27 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Kenneth Tam writes:
I'm considering a gunboat to be a large, sloop rigged open boat with a
single forward mounted cannon. I'm presuming it would probably be/could be
stowed aboard a larger vessel (1). Later gunboats were definitely larger
vessels, and would have been commanded by a higher rank.

Aha! Makes sense to me! I've come across a number of instances where gun
brigs and cutters were listed as gunboats, but that definition clears things
up neatly.

   Later gunboats were also designed for river penetration and close-in
   assault and, frankly, terror operations against foes without similar
   capability.  The earlier definition seems like the more piratical one,
   though.  :D

Hmmm... like the ill-fated Political Officer aboard the Red October?

The very same!

   Political commissars and citizen officers--ideologues--were common
   among the "operations units" of totalitarian (or wannabe-totalitarian!)
   states.  They were less needed in the armies after 1795, because France
   was on the attack and the citizen-army's morale was extremely high.
   Not so the navy!

Ummm.... I hadn't occured to me that they didn't actually have any... it was
a matter of "what interesting vessel could be made with this hull"....

Well, I have a feeling that after the Nile, the French would have been
willing to commission just about anything into the service. Bonaparte might
have particularly liked the idea of a mortar ship (being an artillery
officer and all) so if a British ketch happened to get cornered they
probably would have captured and commisioned her. That or built their own.

   I'm not aware of any seaborne sieges that used French ketches.
   I've never even heard of any plans to use them in the cross-
   Channel invasion.

Whatever the case, the times were chaotic -- there's no shortage of ways to
get a French Bomb into action. If it's part of a Mediterranean squadron, you
could have it menacing Malta or something to that effect.

   Not likely; Malta first came (IIRC) under French guns when Napoleon's
   entire fleet appeared off the coast.  The Knights didn't last long at all.
   At that point, Malta became French; I believe it remained so until it
   passed into British hands.

My motivation was mainly the torsos I had on hand (and on hand to
modify...), like the hull pieces I had to hand. And just to be a bit
different, of course :-)

Ahhh, uniqueness! My evil schemes strive for the very same... though I won't
be getting a flying squadron out of them.

   You've seen my wee little bomb ketch, yes?  I've got a big ol' siege
   mortar on board (do a ng search for "siege mortar" and the pic addies
   might be handy).   It needed a 16-wide one-midsection hull for full
   traverse, though.

   best

   LFB