 Pirates / 2597
Re: French Navy Ranks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:57:11 GMT

IIRC, the British Navy would have had the ketch and the sloop under the
command of Lieutenants, and the gunboats under the command of Midshipmen.

Hmm... now I might be on the wrong page here, but I would always have
expected only commissioned officers to command vessels -- at least in
Britain. In other words, Commanders for the Brig and the Sloop (depending on
the latter's size) and Lieutenants for the gunboats -- but that might depend
on the size of the boats. One thing I find about rank assignment of that
period... it was Nuts! Didn't some of Nelson's ketches at Copenhagen have
Captains in them?

  I haven't seen too many references to French naval ranks in the
  Napoleonic period.  The "Piratic Era" might be better considered
  ancien-regime; at least there, the ranks are standard.  One of the
  problems with the Revolution, Directory, Consulate, and Empire is
  that rank systems and philosophies of rank were in flux (much as
  they'd be in the Soviet military, where levelling was pursued far
  too agressively).

I also recall reading about citizen commisioners aboard ship. I might be
wrong here, but I think that certain Revolutionary governments -- well,
mainly the Jacobins -- were prone to putting their own 'commisioners' on
French warships to assure loyalty to the state. You know, 'attack or meet
Madame Guiltinne'. Gotta love Robespierre and his chums, don't you? Anyway,
that might be applicable if you're looking at a squadron in the earlier 1790s.

Incidentally, did the French even commission Bombs? I don't recall reading
about any, though the records I've come across seldom portray the French as
comissioning much -- the unfair bias of history being what it is. Not too
many give the Republican Navy its due -- hats off to you for doing so!

Kenneth Tam