 Pirates / 2590
  French Navy Ranks

I'm building up a small French fleet (Napoleonic/Pirate era), and would like to have authentic(ish) crew and ranks. The fleet will be commanded by a Capitain de Corvette sailing in a 12 gun brig, and the other two ships are a bomb ketch and a (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) I haven't seen too many references to French naval ranks in the Napoleonic period. The "Piratic Era" might be better considered ancien-regime; at least there, the ranks are standard. One of the problems with the Revolution, Directory, (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) OK--I've checked both in English and in French on the Web, and I've found nothing that's obviously a list of French naval ranks. I think you'll have to go to academic tomes, but I don't yet have any titles for you. How's your French? Do you (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) OK--I've checked both in English and in French on the Web, and I've found nothing that's obviously a list of French naval ranks. I think you'll have to go to academic tomes, but I don't yet have any titles for you. How's your French? Do you (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) I'm disappointed in your web searching skills, LFB :) I found this page after about a minute. It's a web page that lists a lot of different country's ranks of their various military branches. Unfortunately (or not) the ranks are in the native (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) because it's modern (Fifth Republic). From ancien-regime through Republican through Napoleonic, there's considerable variation in organization; whether or not this was reflected in rank orders is not something I'm certain of. I mean, for LEGO (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Hmm... now I might be on the wrong page here, but I would always have expected only commissioned officers to command vessels -- at least in Britain. In other words, Commanders for the Brig and the Sloop (depending on the latter's size) and (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: OK--I've checked both in English and in French on the Web, and I've (...) My French rates even worse than my access to a good library :-( I've found some references to "enseigns" (1st and 2nd class) (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Excellent. I hadn't found a mention of "Lieutenant de vaisseau" (although it seemed obvious that the French would have a Lieutenant in there somewhere). And I hadn't found any mentions of enlisted ranks. Cheers Richie Dulin (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) I'm considering a gunboat to be a large, sloop rigged open boat with a single forward mounted cannon. I'm presuming it would probably be/could be stowed aboard a larger vessel (1). Later gunboats were definitely larger vessels, and would have (...) (22 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Most of the upper ranks are french words. Just some have E's etc removed when English-er-ing them. Most of the Deck Classes were named by function or part of the ship assigned to them. As were English and German(Elector era). Many of the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

It's not French but Steve Beisty's(Sp?) Cross-Section of A Man-of-War has an excellent break down of the crew. Try also watching some Horatio Hornblower movies, in some they had some references to the French navy. Hope your fleet comes out (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) An excellent series, and the basis for most of my ship knowledge of the era ;-) (...) I'm very pleased with the Brig (which owes a lot of the design inspiration to the larger ships out of Port Block), and have it displayed on top of the TV at (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Aha! Makes sense to me! I've come across a number of instances where gun brigs and cutters were listed as gunboats, but that definition clears things up neatly. (...) The very same! (...) Well, I have a feeling that after the Nile, the French (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Later gunboats were also designed for river penetration and close-in assault and, frankly, terror operations against foes without similar capability. The earlier definition seems like the more piratical one, though. :D (...) Political (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) Quite right. Napoleon never had a grasp of the Navy. I mean, embarking his Grand Armee into light vessels and trying to get out of port in the space of a few hours... those 'send the army on porpises' made more sense, for crying out loud! (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: French Navy Ranks

(...) I just pulled my copy of 'Conway's The Line of Battle' off the shelf, realizing I should have looked earlier on this subject. Apparently, the French *invented* the mortar ship back in the mid 17-century. The book wasn't too specific on the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.pirates)