 People / 3064
Re: Thanks to Lego and Lugnet for being there...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:23:10 GMT

Howdy Bob,
You are not alone among the true believers of the power of the almighty
Brick.  I am glad that you are on the right road and still sane (at least to
our eyes).  Lugnet is a great forum for creative thinkers and LEGO is a
great tool for the imagination (and perhaps escape).  I understand how hard
it can be to have the Brick piles tolerated, but I believe as an extension
of your creative self it should be loved as one would love a child.  I
believe that acceptance keeps the hobby from becoming a secret addiction.
You are not alone!!
Live long and play well.
-Aaron-

In lugnet.people, Bob Parker writes:
I just wanted to let others know how much Lego and Lugnet have helped me lately.

I just finished going through a divorce which then set off a weight loss
program that has reached 87 pounds lost so far (still have a little ways to
go but I'm almost there) [1].

Between reading Lugnet and playing with Lego, they have both helped me feel
better about things and myself.  Thanks to the skip-filter settings, I
mostly enjoy what I read on Lugnet and choose to ignore the clutter/noise
and negative stuff (after all, I have had plenty of that in the "Real
World(TM)" lately).  I think my Lego has kept me mostly sane through the
past 8 months (some would argue about the saneness of a 35 year old
"playing" with Lego, but of course not on this website!).  It's nice to find
out that there are other adults out there like me that love to build and
create Lego creations both from out of the box and our own creations.

After all these years (since I was a wee lad) of building the brick
(including the joy of watching the 10020 Super Chief and Dan's Blacksmith
Shop come together), I still can escape into the world of my imagination
where no one gets divorces.  I have recently branched out to making some
MOC's and have even entered my first Lego contest (the current Town one).

I am glad I found Lugnet and I believe that it has helped me to better enjoy
working with Lego.  My ex was not a fan of the brick (she tolerated it) and
I believe she underestimated how much it kept me out of trouble (playing
with Lego seems more harmless to me than going to bars with the boys all the
time or having affairs).  Did it become a sort of addiction that impacted my
marriage?  I hope not.  I tried to balance my time with the brick and with
friends and family (I still see my ex in-laws to this day - after all, they
didn't choose to divorce me).  I think that should be true of any hobby - it
should provide good times and not become an obsession that takes away from
enjoyment of the rest of life.

Sorry for the long ramble, but again let me thank you, the users of Lugnet,
for unknowingly being here for me during some of my darkest hours in my life.

Three cheers for LUGNETers!

Hip hip Hooray!
Hip hip Hooray!
Hip hip Hooray!

Back to building - I think the Technic front end loader is next...

- Bob

[1] Step One of a successful weight loss program - Trauma!
     Step Two - eat less (thanks Subway!) and exercise (2 to 3 miles of
     walking every day).