 People / 3062
Re: Thanks to Lego and Lugnet for being there...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:21:10 GMT

Bob, I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. These things are always sad, no
matter who is involved or what the reasons are for them. Almost exactly a year
ago, my girlfriend of 9 months broke up with me, and I thought that was a
pretty awful thing to go through. I can't imagine how much tougher a divorce
must be, but it sounds like you're hanging in there. When you're ready for
someone new, just start looking I guess, see what comes to you. I met my ex
online through a shared passion of ours.

I've found that lego has also been a kind of "therapy" for me, when I'm going
through bad spots. My mother noticed how as a child, I would build the most
lego when I was going through bad times at school, almost as if it was a way of
escaping reality and entering into a world which I create and have control
over. Perhaps escape from reality isn't always the healthiest way of dealing
with personal problems, but compared to getting into drugs or heavy drinking,
who can really say that building lego is harmful to anyone? I think a lego
passion can become addictive and unhealthy just like any other kind of activity
whatsoever, but I don't think this has ever been a problem for me. Certainly
there are plenty of other hobbies, and ways of spending money that make being
an AFOL look very mature and responsible indeed.

cheers

Magnus