 Parts / Modification / 27
26  |  28
Subject:
Permanent Brick "printing"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:27:32 GMT

My name is Tommy Armstrong and and with my son Peyton,we actually engrave
letters and graphics onto bricks (we started the brick namebadges at BrickFest),
minifig torsos, etc. Although it has limitations as regards to multiple colors,
it does have the advantage of permanence. I have been carrying around a keyring
in my pocket for over two years now with a graphic of the Cape Hatteras
lighthouse engraved and then painted and besides some nice wear of the corners,
the graphic is still sharp. Recently,with the help of Joe Meno, we have engraved
some minifig torsos with emblems--albeit painted with just one color.

Multiple colors are possible but require more planning and more labor. But for
those who want to do it I have decided to start doing custom engraving and let
the end user paint them at what would be considerable savings.

These are still of course much more expensive than printing or decals, but with
a proper simple graphic they can achieve a very spiffy look.

I will be set up at BrickFest this year for simple jobs (name badges, fonts,
etc.) but will be available to discuss some custom project you might have in
mind.

I will also have a couple of mutilations that I have never seen before. Wood
meets LEGO. I am going to give this little business 6 months of intense interest
to see if it is viable to help defray my daugter's school expenses.

With proper planning of the graphic--this technique would make an awesome
container graphic.

We have recently been doing a few wedding "favors" of engraved bricks with the
names and dates of the wedding on them. You LEGO people are really kind of
obsessive--but all serious people are obsessive when it comes to their passion.

Tommy Armstrong
HPT Designs