 Parts / Modification / 15
Re: Silkscreening parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:50:57 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.parts.mod, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Interesting ides, but I wonder about the durability. Decals also are not as
durable in that they can flake off (my Steve Barile designed custom Chessie
locomotive is starting to lose some of its Chessie System markings due to
flaking from careless handling) unless you protect them somehow.

As a former scale model fan, I know that there a quite a few products out there
for durably securing a decal to your model.  The problem is that these solutions
are semi-permanent and the piece(s) will alway have that decal on it.  This is
great in the scale model world but not as desirable in the reusable LEGO world.

Indeed. The approach I used was to apply SolvaSet(tm) (A Walthers product IIRC,
or maybe Microscale) to get the decal to conform to the shape of the model
(fitting over rivets and the like) and then after it dried and was in good
shape, a coat or two of Testors(tm) DullKote(tm) to protect it.

But I'm not at all keen on spraypainting my bricks! Even with clear non shiny
finish.