 Parts / Modification / 25
Re: Silkscreening parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:12:07 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.parts.mod, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
and then after it dried and was in good shape, a coat or two of Testors(tm)
DullKote(tm) to protect it.

For those interested in painting bricks, DullCote does a pretty good job of
protecting most paints, though I'd suggest avoiding water-based craft paints in
favor of actual model paints.  I once used some Createx airbrush paint to apply
silver scratch marks to a customized action figure, and the DullCote washed it
away.  I've never had any problem with water-based model paints, like Testors
Model Master Acryl or Citadel Colours, though.

For those interested in painting or applying decals, there's a glossy version of
DullCote called, predictably enough, GlossCote.  It provides a really shiny
finish that's a fair match for the glossy quality of most LEGO bricks, but I
usually wait until after I've applied a shot or two of DullCote and given it a
chance to set before pulling out the GlossCote.  I don't know if it makes a
difference in the way the GlossCote adheres, but it's a lot easier to identify
thin spots.

The scale modeling crowd also uses Future floor polish as a gloss-coat.  I'm not
sure if it would stand up to the rigors of playing with the sprayed part,
though.  Check rec.models.scale for references to Future for theories on how to
airbrush.
James Wilson
Dallas, TX