 Parts / Modification / 13
Re: Silkscreening parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:40:16 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Mike Rayhawk wrote:
Hey nice, somebody made a new forum just in time for my question.

Has anybody tried silkscreening onto Lego parts?  I've been doing a lot of
custom decals lately, running label paper

Do you mean decals or stickers? I believe decals are printed on decal paper and
you use water to float them off their backing and transfer them while wet, while
stickers are printed on dry adhesive backed paper.

Tangentially, there is a printer called an ALPS that can print white ink but it
is an open question as to whether it can do so on sticker paper (which is
thicker than decal paper)

through my inkjet, but I can't help
but wonder if silkscreening wouldn't lead to a better finished result.

Interesting ides, but I wonder about the durability. Decals also are not as
durable in that they can flake off (my Steve Barile designed custom Chessie
locomotive is starting to lose some of its Chessie System markings due to
flaking from careless handling) unless you protect them somehow.

My interest here is that the MichLUG container we are going to trade is starting
to look like it needs white printing.

Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to modify one of those $30
mini-silkscreening kits to handle minifig torsos.  I'm just wondering how well
the print would stick afterward.  Has anyone tried anything like this?

I'd be interested to hear about this as well. I wonder if J2 knows the answer,
he silkscreens things for a living.