 Parts / Modification / 23
Re: Silkscreening parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:56:52 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.parts.mod, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Silk-screening is a process that will directly print a given design onto
a given object (passing ink/dye/paint through a screen/number of
screens).  I presume Mike means printing directly on the torso after
removing any previous design first.  I don't see the point in silk-
screening to an intermediary medium (decal, paper, film, etc.) when that
can be done easier through existing techniques (mostly Paintshop and an
ink-jet printer).

That's right, I'm trying to think of ways to duplicate the look of actual Lego
printing as closely as possible, and the paper labels are just too jarring -
even with photoshop-printed paper labels we have to do a bunch of post-printing
work to get them to look decent: markers to deepen the colors and mask the
edges, and then hand-painting where metallic colors are needed.

You guys could always make jigs and templates, then use airbrushes to paint
the desired decal colors.  A different part of a design could be made for
each color.  When you spray each color/template, then the full design would
be revealed.  That's how we did it on a silk-screening (only with screens
and not templates) tee-shirts last year.

Jigs shouldn't be too tough, a couple scraps of sculpy should do the job.  I'll
have to bust out my old airbrush and see what I can work out - I'm not sure how
easy it'll be to cut friskets at a small enough scale for torso and head
designs.

Mike was talking about a $30 mini-silk-screening machine (what make/model
Mike?).  I shudder to think what my compressor and double-action air brush
would cost today

It's a toy a bunch of my illustrator cohorts use, I haven't tracked any of them
down yet to find out the specifics (but I'm getting around to it... busy
schedule this month)  It handles prints up to about the size of a standard
postcard, so it's great for sending out promos to art directors.  I've stood
around watching them use these things for years but never had any reason to be
interested in silkscreening before lately, so I'm not totally clear on the
details - don't take any of this as gospel, but:

From what I remember, you draw out each of your screens in black and white, and
then through some magical process I'm not exactly clear on (I think having to do
with photo-sensitive paper) the black and white drawings are converted to
fine-grained screens, good for around one or two dozen prints if you keep them
out of the light.  It works just fine off of computer printouts and does decent
penlines and halftones, which is why I thought it might be a good avenue to
explore for the fine details required for torsos and faces.

I'm going to try and track down one of these things so I can have some more
solid details to share.