Re: Creating a GBC for a train layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:58:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Some clubs build 8 wide trains.  We could be one.  :)

   Absolutely. I was thinking more along the lines of how many clubs could allow
us to "rent track" through their layout if we used 8-wide? I'm still trying to
figure out how to run two trains on one track and *ABSOLUTELY* not collide them
- probably by watching the interval between trains, and using the GBC siding to
adjust this if it drifts too far from the proper timing. This does require
detecting all trains and distinguishing GBC trains, but that's doable. I'm just
thinking a really smart siding will take more than one RCX
to the polarity switches - those were fantastic, but certainly far from
mil-spec.

Actually, many the trains have decoration that sticks out that wide.

   Yeah, so it's probably not a problem. OK, accepted.

...force-feedback joystick controlling a GBC crane module... a button
to push to turn on or off (temporarily) a module... a visible switch
that could be controled to shunt balls... making a game of "how to get
a ball into slot X" by throwing various switches...

That could be interesting.

   Audience interaction is good, especially when "safed" by an RCX with override
ability.

   Another thing I thought of last night was that if all the mechanism is
hidden, people might be inclined to think the train-GBC is "just animation". In
other words, maybe the balls aren't actually being passed but just moved around
within each building. The train loading & unloading helps discourage this
interpretation, which is good. Another way would be to make it obvious that the
ball stream from one module is actually moving into the next - I'm thinking of a
tracer of some type. I'll play with Horta eggs later today, but it would be neat
if adding the "tracer" (a single red or blue ball? A "bucket" of basketballs?
Horta eggs?) could be controled by the crowd. Yet another idea - if sorting
Horta eggs can be made reliable, imagine a button to release a bolus of Horta
eggs into the stream, with a downstream module that sorts out Horta eggs to
either (a) put the eggs back into the tracer module (recycle them) or (b, even
cooler) load them into a seperate train or train car. *Now* the train GBC is
seen to be doing something useful (sorting - the fact that it's a pointless,
cyclical process can be hidden by having the sorting and the mixing sections
spatially seperated, thanks to the train).

   Why does this seem like Jaws II? "Just when you thought it was safe from the
GBC..."

--
Brian Davis