Subject:
Creating a GBC for a train layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:16:23 GMT

We were talking about this off line, and I'd like to continue this discussion on-line.

We're trying to figure out how to make a GBC that looks like it should be part of a
train layout.

John wrote:
Well, I guess I'll add my thoughts.

1.  I agree with Brian D. in that high-quality modules should be able to run
unattended for a couple of hours without failing.  In my mind, a dropped or
missed ball does NOT count against this so long as it doesn't cause the
module to break.

Right.

2.  As for making the modules look like they work in a factory or city
setting, I think a minimum would be for a "control room" for the module with
a minifig or two "controlling" the module.  I think my pneumatic digger
would have qualified as would most of the modules at this link, though some
of them were a little sparse on decorations.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=149883 (not sure whose
gallery this is, but it is of our modules in the last IndyLUG layout)  Most
of us don't have the required number of windows, doors, fence pieces, etc.
to make it fit perfectly into a layout.  I like Dave K.'s idea of painting
the soccer balls grey and making them look like rock chunks, but I'm not
sure that is the best solution to make them fit into some sort of theme.
All we have right now is "soccer ball factory", I don't know if there is
something better.  I think an industrial zone/ factory setting is perfect.
It allows us to have more mechanicals parts showing without them looking
totally out of place.

The problem is actually getting paint that will stay on for any length of time.  I
have many balls where the real spots are worn off.  Then, is the act of painting
them.  That won't be easy.

5.  Above grade-- This sounds like it would be FANTASTIC, but pretty tough.
But I do think that neatly routing wires would be a MUST.  How many of us
have the necessary bricks to "brickscape" our modules to either raise the
grade or hide all the ugly components?

I'm thinking you can build a hill in your module, if you want.  That's up to you...  :)

6.  Like we talked about yesterday, I would still like to see a GBC train
traveling through the main train layout and moving off onto a siding to
unload/load.  Whether it be a single all-in-one loading/unloading module or
individual stations that maintain the ball supply to a larger GBC.

Yes.  This would be the plan.  Imagine a big train layout with a GBC train running
through it.  There would be a few automated stations where the train(s) would stop,
unload, load, and move on.  At the station would be a predefined set of GBC modules.

Out past the end of the train layout, there could be a "normal" mix & match GBC,
where others can contribute modules.  The GBC train could shuttle balls to that, and
back.

7.  Also it has been discussed having some sort of force-feedback joystick
controlling a GBC crane module of some sort so passers-by can control the
action to some extent.  When not being controlled, it would revert to
autonomous control.  I like this idea (I'm taking partial credit for it
since Steve, Kerby, and I dreamed it up on our way back from Ft. Wayne).

I like this (and want to do it), but it's the kind of thing that may end up in the
"GBC" section, not the "Train" section.

8.  Bryan, I don't think you'd have to be worried about having Steve (or
somebody else) setting your module aside because it wasn't pretty enough.
If we do this, I think it would be a relatively few people involved
and I would guess lots of pictures/ layouts/ helpful
suggestions would be flying to and fro.

Yes, the "Train GBC" area would require a great deal of advanced planning, while the
other area will work as it has in the past. (modules are added when they arrive)

Steve