Re: Creating a GBC for a train layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 02:25:05 GMT

On Tue, January 3, 2006 7:06 pm, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
There would be a few automated stations where the train(s) would stop,
unload, load, and move on.  At the station would be a predefined
set of GBC modules.

   Technical Q: Steve, the cylinders bumping the train width out to 8-wide work
great for detecting. Would they still be acceptable to the train clubs? Needing
an 8-wide track limits us some, but... it works so well.

Some clubs build 8 wide trains.  We could be one.  :)

Actually, many the trains have decoration that sticks out that wide.  I've had to
make changes to the engines I'm using so they don't trigger the train sensor.  That
won't be a problem.

it has been discussed having some sort of force-feedback joystick
controlling a GBC crane module of some sort so passers-by can
control the action to some extent.

I like this (and want to do it), but it's the kind of thing that
may end up in the "GBC" section, not the "Train" section.

   Even a button to push to turn on or off (temporarily) a module would be fun
for kids. Or a visible switch that could be controled to shunt balls from one
descending path to an alternative (I've been playing with that idea for a while
now, making a game of "how to get a ball into slot X" by throwing various
switches...

That could be interesting.

Steve