Re: Creating a GBC for a train layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:15:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

You need to drop the idea of using the "Horta eggs".  Unless you
can suppily enough for everyone to replace the soccer balls.

   Well, I've got 50, but I get your point. At just 20 cents a ball
off-the-shelf at Meijers, they're not too bad compared to soccer balls on
Bricklink... except that we already have 1000's of soccer balls in circulation
free.

Mixing the really nice, realistic balls (which are a different size)
with soccer balls will only cause the stream of soccer balls to appear
more cartoon-ish.

   A very good point. Which doesn't mean I'm not going to play a lot more with
the Horta eggs, but they may not be appropriate in the train section. Or,
alternatively, they run only in the train section and get "sorted out" of the
main GBC.

We have balls that can be used as "tracer" balls.

   The problem is that these would have to be pulled out of the main ball stream
to be re-used (*if* we want the public to have a hand in "triggering" the
tracer), and that doesn't appear to be very easy to do automatically. My sorter
was good... but nowhere near 99% over a period of 3-4 hours.

--
Brian Davis