 Organizations / GLUG / 35
34  |  36
Subject:
GLUG Logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:59:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.glug, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
I'd had a thought for a logo, but haven't yet had time to try it; basically
a (roughly) 4x4x4 white cube with black 1x1 dots to be the sides of a D6.
Or a more digital meld of a D6 with studs instead of dots.

I like the idea if it can be executed properly.  What if there were four of
them and on first glance they appeared to just be dice but on the second glance
they were studed dice made from multiple bricks and an third glance you could
see large background letters embossed in the most prominent
faces..G...L...U...G?  The letters might be bricks very slightly inset (in a
way that LEGO can't be, but illustrations can).

I like these ideas, I can try to set aside some time next week and mock some
of these up.

This thing about not using the minifig...is that a for real restriction, or is
that people being oversensitive of LEGO's IP?  Does someone know the law or
LEGO's stance well enough to speak authoritatively?

From my conversations with them, I understand that the minifig is pretty
vigorously defended, and I think the specific shapes of individual heads,
arms and hands are also protected.  (I mean my conversations with LEGO, not
with minifigs.)

On the other hand it has also been my impression that they've gotten a lot
more tolerant over the last couple of years about personal-use applications,
so I suspect we could get away with putting a minifig on a t-shirt that was
for in-club use only.  Using a minifig in the group logo will probably be
frowned on though, and of course using the LEGO logo is off-limits in just
about any application.

My original idea for a shirt (which might logoize) was to have minifigs from
various theme's interacting with various polyhedral dice: firing a d6 out of a
cannon, running atop a rolling d20, drilling rock with a d10-tipped device,
etc.

How about dice interacting with bricks?  Something like those cannonball d6s
blasting through a wall of bricks or something.