 Organizations / GLUG / 14
Re: The future of GLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:05:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.glug, Mike Rayhawk writes:

The newsgroup's been quiet lately, so I got to thinking.  Beyond the GenCon
lineup, what are the plans for GLUG?  Looks like there's a lot of interest,
but everything's still pretty nebulous -  how is the group organized?  What
decisions need to be reached?  Who takes responsibility for pushing things
forward?  Are Chris and James in charge of organizing the group or just the
GenCon events?  And so forth.

As far as I'm concerned, until we formalize things more, anyone who
organizes something under the banner of GLUG is in charge of that event and
no one is in charge of the group.  I just pushed to make it happen.

One subject I wouldn't mind seeing some discussion on is a website for GLUG.
At minimum, by the time GenCon rolls around you want to have a site up that
you can refer interested players back to, besides lugnet.org.glug.

It's not much, but there is http://www.bricktopia.com/GLUG which I guess I
never mentioned here.  My bad.  I'm currently using webspace at a company
that only hosts on unix boxes so I can do cgi-bin with perl or php (which I
prefer) but I'm doing ASP.NET stuff at work and it's getting to the point
where I may seek the ability to host my stuff on an MS platform.  At that
point, implementing many of your good ideas (some of which we've discussed)
would be easier for _me_.

- some way for members to locate other Lego gamers in their area, making
organizing games a lot easier

That's a great idea.  An international registry of members should be an
early asset.

- game-specific news and discussion boards

What for?  How is that valuable to the community?  I guess I'd personally
prefer to keep news-style discussion on LUGNET as a central resource.  News,
or an advertising forum or something might be valuable, but I don't see it
for discussion.

- some kind of file area where people could share their game systems

Yeah, as long as the sizes didn't get absurd.

- links to gaming resources on the web

Sure.  That's in the planning, I just have other stuff to do too. (BTW,
when'll we see the 2001 BW HTMLized?)  :-)

It looks like www.glug.com and all its variants have already been claimed,
how about gamelug.com?

That could be.  I guess I'm not as eager for this to happen as I might be
until someone is actually doing it.  I have a few other personal projects
going on too.

I'd like to see a GLUG on-line game of some kind happen too.

How much do experiences like Castle World fit under the umbrella of LEGO games?

Along the lines of formalizing GLUG, we've talked a little about membership,
money, etc.  Could GLUG support a for-pay membership option?  What could the
organization offer?  Some ideas: expanded presense in the member directory,
priority participation at official events, vote on organizational issues,
etc.  Anything else?  How much does the org need?

Chris