 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8046
Re: NMRA2003 Friday install
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:43:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Van Winden wrote:
Were you refering to me when you said Jeff? I can rebuild the round (8 sided)
building, and I can bring the Battery pack towers (I think I have 3 now.)

Cool, I have two.  Bring the three and we'll have a five tower fuel depot.

could we buy some more pipe? 3 foot lengths with and end cap bolted/nailed into
a wood base? with a tee on top to run the chain through?

The vertical has never been the issue.  That's easy.  Whether it's PVC pipe or
2x2's with a nice picket peak (my idea) painted white, it's the base that's
hard.  We need about 8-10 posts to adequately string off the entire layout.

a) poured concrete into 10" sonotube "cakes".  8 ft Sonotube is $9, parching
(ie, small particle) concrete is a whopping $40.  We can make ten stanchions for
about $60 this way.  Drawbacks are they're heavy, we're not experts in pouring
concrete, and who knows how to transport them.

b) waterfilled patio umbrella base. $7 in beige.  Easy to transport.  Only
problem is they cost $70 alone for the bases.  And they're large in diameter,
abotu twice as large as needed.

c) 4105 buckets filled with concrete.  Drawbacks include, they look stupid, and
again, it's concrete.  Concrete may be cheaper, because you're filling into the
bucket and it doesn't matter what grade of concrete.  Pros include they might
have the same effect as the concrete filled computer prank-hilarious to see
people try and walk off with them.

d) concrete deck blocks.  $6.50 a block. Drawbacks:  Heavy as hell and they only
fit 4x4's, though they have a hole for a 1.5"

e) Gail Meagher just emailed me a picture of some they did in the East
Coast-they're apparently two pieces of wood with a hole in the top.  Perahps
there's a ring of 2x4 or something.

Maybe we can make a pile of these.  Time is running out though.  Aaargh!  Anyone
interested?

Calum