 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8009
Re: What kind of events do Ontario LEGO builders want? (Snow Brick TM)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:39:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richard Noeckel wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Allan Bedford wrote:

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your comments!

Or to know that participants get into the show free?
Yes, yes, and yes.

Well, the last two are solid 'Yes' answers.

I do like the  fact that the show is free to participants!
(For me that would be a draw to the event and to take-part)

Yes, I hoped that would help for people to know that.  The show itself (apart
from what we will contribute) is fun.  And of course, there's always time to
step away from the booth to wander the show floor.

for even one day?  How about if it was just to field questions from the
public and chat with the other participants?

I'm suer All of rtlToronto could show up en mass to the show if the group got
organized...i'd make the effort if there was an opportunity to hang out with
everyone and talk about the brick!

(ducks way below his desk as he types this.....)

I've been told that rtlToronto is not really an organized group.  And yet, from
what I've seen of their dinner get-togethers, their contests, and their recent
participation in the Road Show, they seem very organized to me.

However (and this isn't a secret) rtl does focus on their own types of
gatherings.  The contests specifically aren't really an aspect of The Hobby
Show... but now that I think of it, why can't they be?

Would it help if The Hobby Show co-incided with one of the rtl challenges?  It
would be a very public affair mind you... not limited only the the group, but it
might spark additional interest/participation from the group.  Maybe?

As I tried to make clear to everyone initially, my attempt was not in any way to
take attention or members away from rtl, nor to conflict with or try to replace
ANY of their existing activities.  I think there's room for both them, The Hobby
Show and for people to participate in one, or the other, or both.

Will it happen again next year?  I'm not sure.
I hope it will happen again next year.
My reason for trying to generate some interest is that I fear this may be a
one-time-only deal.  And I think that would be a shame

Why would this be a one time only thing?!?
(It takes a few years for things like this to get rolling)

There's more to it than that, unfortunately.  Part of The Hobby Show's appeal
(to the public) is that if you see a hobby displayed by a club (take model
trains for example) then you can walk down the asile and buy some train gear
from a retailer who is onsite.  Right then, right there, spur-of-the-moment.

I tried for nearly 4 months to locate a retailer in Ontario who would
participate in this show (separate from the display booth run by the builders).
There was zero interest.  The show organizer was very kind in allowing us to
have a booth (free of charge!!!) to show off our stuff.  If participation is
low, there might not be an invitation to come back next year.

As an example, the Meccano booth started back in 1982.  They had a booth only 2
tables wide, but had more than 20 participants.  We have already been given a
booth 4 tables wide and yet I can't find as many participants as the Meccano
guys were able to wrangle 15 years before anyone had heard of the internet and
using it to organize this type of thing.

This could actually be the initial staging-grounds for a Canadian BrickFest!
(Ideas about Snow Brick TM have floated around for a while)

I agree.  It really could.  I want it to.  I hope it does.

Well, yah...this could potentially be the biggest AFOL event in Canada within
the next 3 years. But you really need to net-work with Calum, and Chris in
Toronto, Pier and Jude in Ottawa, and the group in Montreal.

I have definitely made contact with rtl and have had limited contact from folks
in Ottawa.  To be honest, Chris was instrumental in prompting me to send out the
personal emails, which contributed to many of the current participants.

This can work, but it'll take time.
(Heck, if every one shows up this year and next, i'll  bring my Castle display)

O.K.  I'm confused.  If everyone shows up this year and next, then you'll bring
your castle display:

a)  This year

b)  Next year

c)  The following year?    :)

Thanks for working so hard to promote this event.
This WILL work, but it'll take some time and effort!

Your input is sincerely appreciated.  Please feel free to make any further
suggestions, or discuss any issues of this event.

Best regards,
Allan B.