 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7876
7875  |  7877
Subject:
[rtlToronto] Roadshow 2003 Toronto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:00:14 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi folks,

New day 2 photos up here:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-070503/

So, we're back from the Toronto stop of the What Will You Make, Americas? Road
Show 2003 event.  Held at the Toronto Zoo, Lego presented a new line of new
products by involving kids and their families in all sorts of hands on fun,
including building challenges, free form construction and meeting a real live
Master Builder.

As most of you know, the Road Show tour is the first time that the Lego
enthusiast community have been invited to participate in an official event.
It`s not just a one off thing, in almost all of the 20 cities, there will be a
community tent with adult enthusiasts and their creations.

Most of us here in the GTA wanted to try it at least once, so we put together a
train layout based on our NMRA2003 setup, taking some of the best elements of
the existing display (a raised town section, a lowered dam and bridge module)
and built a pair of side wing modules which capped the ends off.

We began setup on Saturday morning at 8AM, including a jungle safari trek
through the backwoods of the Toronto Zoo site and began to set up.  The show was
setup as a small group of tents, each with a building activity inside.  Just
hidden behind the water park and the horsie rides, it was secluded yet drew a
reasonable amount of people.

This was the first time we`ve ever used the new rtlToronto train module
benchwork, and used pieces of patio stone we found at the site to level off on
the grass below.  We were ready to go around 10:15AM.

Most of our day was centered around helping kids with our tent activity, which
was to find three monkeys out of eight who had escaped from the zoo and were
hiding in the Lego town.  (I`m not sure who came up with the storyline (cute!),
but I found myself staring at a monkey minifigure at 2:30AM on Friday night,
thinking, sure, that`ll be our activity, since we`re at the Zoo).  If they found
three, they got their green Community Tent sticker.  For little ones, we got
them to find one with their parents, for the adults, we told them they had to
find nine.

While a young visitor did manage to rip off a chunk of Derek`s Lego mountain,
the ``Road Show`` curse managed to avoid us in the Great White North:  In the
previous two stops, a large Star Wars model and a big crane model both managed
to be tipped and destroyed.  The mountain chunk, designed to break off for
transportation, was easily replaced.

Some of the local media were given a Lego billiard ball to show on camera, which
was promptly dropped and broken.  JeffVW and I rebuilt the sphere for the road
crew, who immediately gave it to another media person, who hopefully was a
little more tame with it :)

Side note: Those Clikits are cute and fun.  They`re also a bloody pain to clean
up.  Chris (and I) were ready to kill our members who had volunteered to help
sort and clean them up on Saturday evening.

Late on Sunday, we were asked by the crew to supply someone to stand in for the
Master Builder.  Jeff Van Winden from our group volunteered, (Okay,I volunteered
him, :) thanks JeffVW) and did an admirable job, listening to the kids ideas,
answering their questions, giving out builder licenses for those who had
finished all four tent activities.

While extremely tiring, I think most people had a good time with it.  Thanks to
Lego and Jake McKee for inviting us, and to our excellent team on hand: Jeff Van
Winden, John Guerquin, Wayne Young, Chris Magno, Jeff Elliott, Susan Sim, and
Derek Raycraft.

Calum